Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas Letter

There is a tradition in our ward to have the mothers of missionaries read letters from their missionaries out in the field for the Christmas Sacrament Meeting. My dad can remember writing his "Christmas" letter to the ward when he was on his mission. Here is Hermana Hendrix's "Christmas Letter":

Dear Ward Family,
I can't believe it has been nearly a year since I left Fallon to go to Utah so that I could prepare for my time here in Florida. This holiday season has been very different from the last one. Right now I am serving in the Snapper Creek YSA branch in Miami. I love being a missionary and seeing people's lives change through the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This season is an even more special time when we can focus on His birth and purpose on this earth. I had the privilege of listening to President Uchtdorf at our mission Christmas conference. It was so special to shake the hand of a prophet and to hear him testify of Jesus Christ. At the conference my mission president made a statement that really made me reflect on my relationship with my Savior and the sacrifice I am willing to make to allow him into my life. He said "There was never enough room for Him in the inn. Would you have been the inn keeper that told Him you were full? Or would you be the inn keeper that shouted out for Him to come back and give Him your bed?" How often do we invite Him into our lives? And do we make room for Him to stay? All He is waiting for is our invitation inside. As we take the sacrament each week we have the opportunity to "let Him inside" each of us. We can take His name and be like Him. We also have that opportunity when we enter the waters of baptism. When we make covenants with our Heavenly Father we can prepare ourselves to return to the mansions He has prepared for us. At that time He will welcome us into His inn, which has room for not only us but our entire family. As you share this Christmas season with those you love help them to feel the love of Christ that can radiate from each one of us as we share the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. We have something that they all desire- but may not know where to find it. True joy comes through obedience to the commandments of God, given to us through the scriptures and a living day prophet. I know that Thomas S. Monson is a chosen prophet of God and that he leads and guides us. I know that Joseph Smith saw God the Father and the son and that we can each know for ourselves through prayer. I know that he restored the true Church of Jesus Christ on the earth. I know that God lives, that He loves us, and that He has a plan for each one of us. I know that He sent His son to atone for our sins and to overcome death and that through Him we can be perfected. I love you all. You are always in my prayers. I hope you each have a very Merry Christmas!

Love,
Hermana Hendrix



No comments:

Post a Comment